Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Twin Recipe #1

I always get hooked to easy recipe ideas but I get really fired up by “Double Bill” kind of recipe ideas where you could finish up two different dishes putting in as much effort as needed to prepare a single dish only (or a little bit of extra effort , but only a little bit honestly!) and surely not twice as much.

I am a sucker for this type of recipes. There is practicality to it too. Such recipes truly save your skin whenever you have guests coming back to back on Saturdays and Sundays. I faced such situation time and again. Believe me, I know how bad it gets when I wake up on Sunday, red-eyed due to limited sleep (limited as I behave frighteningly crazy when it comes to show off my housekeeping skills to the guests and therefore soon after my guests leave on Saturday, I jump into the action to do away with all the stains and marks my Saturday shindig has caused and to jazz the rooms up again for my Sunday guests ).
Therefore, as I wake up on Sunday morning, with the marital discord from the previous night following on(which is having its source in the snide remark my husband had made at my crazy jazzig up endeavour the night before), all I want to do is curse myself to death on my stupid decision to invite guests two days in a row. These recipes come real handy in those situations. At least it works wonderful for me.

So today I bring to you guys my first of many more oncoming double whammy recipes.


What you are going to make:

Sorshe-narkol Chingri (Prawn with mustard and coconut paste) on Saturday
and
Prawn Korma on Sunday


Things you need:

For Sorshe-narkol Chingri (Prawn with mustard and coconut paste)
Tiger prawn de-veined (12-14)
Mustard paste (2-3 tablespoon according to taste)
Tomato paste (1 tomato medium)
Fine paste of coconut (1/2 cup)
Green chilli (whole 2-3)
Green chilli paste (if you like the curry really really hot)



For Prawn Korma
Tiger Prawn de-veined (10-15)
Cashew paste with water (of 5-6 cashews)
Ginger paste (2 teaspoon)
Garlic paste (1 teaspoon)
Poppy seed paste with water (in same proportion as cashew paste)
Yogurt 100gm (approximately)
Whole green chilli (5-6)
Turmeric powder (1/3 teaspoon)
Coriander powder (2 teaspoon approximately)
Oil
To ease up the workload on Sunday, try to arrange all the ingredients of both the dishes on Saturday itself.

N.B. Keep poppy seed paste and cashew paste refrigerated once prepared.


Procedure:

For Sorshe-narkol Chingri (Prawn with mustard and coconut paste)

Heat oil in a wok. Fry prawns for 1-2 minutes till it gets slightly golden. Keep them aside. Add coconut paste to the oil. Stir fry for 5 minutes or till the sweet smell of fried coconut wafts in, whichever is earlier. Then add mustard paste +salt+ turmeric powder to it. Stir fry for 1-2 min with sprinkles of water. Add tomato paste. Add water to it. Cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes. Add prawn to it. Cook for another 3-4 minutes and your dish is ready to serve.




For Prawn Korma:
Day 1
Mix together Prawn+ Ginger paste+ Garlic paste + Yogurt+ Turmeric powder +salt to taste and keep refrigerated till Sunday morning.
Day 2
Heat oil in a wok; add cashew paste, poppy seed paste and coriander powder to it. Stir till the mix turns golden brown. Sprinkle water to the spices if needed. Then add the Prawn and yogurt mix you prepared yesterday. Cook for 8-10 min on low flame and your Korma is ready to go.

Prawn Korma

1 comment:

Unknown said...

tor chingri mach r recipe gulo khub bhalo laglo. chabitao ato sundar tulechis dekhe jiv a jol ese galo. amio next month a bari giye try kore dekhbo.